Wednesday, February 12, 2014

DIY Valentine's Day Wreath


As you read in this post I have been making a lot of my own Valentine's Day decorations this year. Well this one has been the easiest so far!



Supplies Needed:
Wreath Form
Hot Glue Gun
Yarn
Felt
Ribbon
Start the wreath by tying a knot with the yarn around the form. You could use your hot glue gun to secure it but I didn't have any problems by just tying it.
Next I literally just started wrapping the yarn around the form. I found it was easier to wrap all the way around loosely then to pull it as a group tighter, went much faster.
Keep wrapping! Your going to want to make sure you keep the yarn pulled as tight as possible and keep squishing it together so that you don't see any of the form underneath.
When I finally finished wrapping the yarn all the way around James thought it would be fun to wear it like a crown!
Now your going to want to decorate your wreath. You can buy pre-made decorations or make felt flowers like I did. I'll give you a very brief explanation on how to do that because I'm sure there are far more detailed ones out there.
Start by cutting either a circle or a wavy circle like pictured above. If your circle has waves it will make the flower have what looks like uneven petals versus just a flat circle like if it has no waves. Both ways look good in my opinion.
Follow the wavy pattern and cut around in a circle until you reach the center.
Cut all the way until it looks like this ^ This will become your base for your flower.
This is the bottom of the flower with the base showing. Hot glue it to the center and it will keep your flower in place. Also by doing this it makes it easy to attach to the wreath.
Make as many or as few flowers as you would like. Use all one color or use separate. Group them or keep them apart. Make different sizes or make them all uniform. Remember this is your wreath, get creative!
Use the base and hot glue to attach them anywhere to your wreath. I suggest making all your flowers first and laying them on the wreath without glue so you can see where they look best.
I added little pearls to the center of each flower with hot glue to add a little embellishment. I think it really makes it look finished, but they still looked great without them too.



 Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment