Thursday, July 5, 2012

Why Cloth?

A lot of people ask me: "Why did you choose to cloth diaper?"
It's actually a harder question than it seems. I began researching cloth when I stumbled upon a cloth diaper message board. I honestly didn't know people still did cloth, and what I imagined it being was something like thins. A prefold diaper with pins. I couldn't imagine myself having to deal with putting sharp pins on a wiggly infant. I checked out many sites but the one that helped me the most was The Eco Friendly Family's FAQ about cloth diapering. I ordered a "new" style pocket diaper to see what it was all about and immediately fell in love. There are many benefits to choosing cloth. The most obvious is that it is good for the environment. Another reason I chose cloth was the price aspect. There is more of a upfront cost to cloth, but overall you will be saving thousands. I began buying my cloth around 20 weeks pregnant, so I bought slowly and didn't see it as much as an expense. Fuzzibunz, a popular "new age", pocket style diapers explains some of what you might spend and save on cloth with this image. New style cloth is almost exactly the same as disposables. They look almost identical, the only difference being you have to wash them. You may be concerned about your child pooping in the diaper and you having to clean it. Exclusive breast feeders don't have to worry about getting the poop off before they wash, exclusive breast fed poop is water soluble so you just put them in the wash and don't worry about a thing. Formula fed babies poop will have to be removed from the diaper before entering the wash but from my experience if you let the poop dry first it literally just peels right off, I don't use my hand to do this but a plastic butter knife works wonders. I've only just started easing into cloth, so far I've been doing cloth during the days and disposables at night(because I have so many disposables) and it has been going pretty smoothly. I encourage you to at least look into it before you have biased opinions, like I had in the beginning. Let's not forget that cloth happens to be incredibly cute.The picture below is a new style cloth diaper-the type I currently use most. I am including links below for valuable resources.

Useful Links:

A Facebook group where you can post all your CD(cloth diaper) questions and other moms will answer
A blog who talks about all things environmentally friendly and has a hugely helpful section on cloth
A message board on The Bump that talks about cloth and has a really really helpful FAQ
A site that has a marketplace for cheaper cloth diapers




No comments:

Post a Comment